- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 8 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- January 22, 2023
- 1000 gram
- 1000 gram
- purple carrot
- 4 large
- 4 table spoon
- Fresh lemon
- 4 table spoon
- 2 Tea Spoon
- Black Pepper
- 50 gram
- 1 As Needed
Turkish turnip juice (Salgam Suyu) is a non-alcoholic fermented drink. This drink is traditionally used in Turkey and is usually served with kebab. Turkish people are very fond of this drink and consume it cold with food.
How to make turnip juice is exactly like making pickled vegetables. with the difference that in this pickle only its juice is eaten and other ingredients are not consumed.
Besides turnip, Turkish turnip juice also contains purple carrot, lime juice, salt, etc. and has many properties. In this article, we will teach you how to prepare Turkish turnip juice and provide you with information about its properties. Stay with us.
History of Turkish turnip water
Turkish turnip water is one of the types of Turkish drinks that is often used in winter. The origin of this drink is related to the southeastern region of Turkey and the cities of Mersin, Adana, Izmir, etc. The people of this region pour Turkish turnip juice in tall glasses and serve it with ice.
When serving Turkish turnip water, some people add a tablespoon of hot red pepper or garlic to it to give it more heat, and some others like Turkish turnip water milder. Sometimes Turkish turnip juice is served with an alcoholic drink like raki to complement it.
The exact date of the production of Turkish turnip water is not known, but it seems that this drink is several hundred years old. The method of producing Turkish turnip juice can be seen in the book of Pierre Belon, a French traveler, naturalist and writer in the 15th century. Turkish people traditionally produced this drink in their homes and used it with food since many years ago.
Little by little, the production of Turkish turnip juice took an industrial form and expanded more. Since 1996, Turkey has set up large factories to produce Turkish turnip juice and started exporting this drink to other parts of the world. It takes 4 to 5 days to produce Turkish turnip juice industrially and it is available in special stores.
Important points in preparing Turkish turnip juice
- As you can see, making Turkish turnip juice is like making pickles. Therefore, every point you consider in making pickles should also be followed for making Turkish turnip juice. Take a clean container and use fresh vegetables to make this drink. The water used must also be completely clean and purified.
- Every day, open the lid of the jar and observe the process of making Turkish turnip water. If you see changes in it, don’t worry. Some environmental factors such as air temperature, environmental bacteria, etc. are influential in this process and may slightly change the taste of Turkish turnip water. Therefore, the taste of Turkish turnip juice is different every time and it is not your hand.
- In some cases, when you open the lid of the container, you may see carbonated water. so that it flows like soda from the container. This is completely normal and it is not a problem if it is not.
- Be careful that the water you pour in the glass is enough to completely submerge the ingredients in it. If your ingredients are too big for the jar, divide it into two parts and pour into two separate jars.
- If you like, you can store the vegetables in the Turkish turnip juice separately and serve it as a side dish.
One of the most important points in cooking is the use of fresh and organic ingredients. The first point is to use fresh ingredients.
The more you follow these tips, the better and tastier you will have. Rest assured, you definitely can and you will need some experience.
Please follow us in linkedin. You can learn all best french food recipe and best Italian food recipe and best arabic food recipes you can check our Reddit page.
How to prepare best Turkish turnip juice for 8 people - Online Culinary School
Turkish turnip juice (Salgam Suyu) is a non-alcoholic fermented drink. This drink is traditionally used in Turkey and is usually served with kebab.
Keywords: turnip juice
Recipe Yield: 8
Preparation Time: PT0H15M
Cooking Time: PT0H20M
Total Time: PT0H35M
- 1000 gram turnip
- 1000 gram purple carrot
- 4 large beet
- 4 table spoon Fresh lemon
- 4 table spoon Salt
- 2 Tea Spoon Black Pepper
- 50 gram Chickpea
- 1 As Needed water
Recipe Instructions: Turkish turnip juice (Salgam Suyu) is a non-alcoholic fermented drink. This drink is traditionally used in Turkey and is usually served with kebab. Turkish people are very fond of this drink and consume it cold with food. Enjoy your meals!
- Peel and wash turnips, carrots and beets. Let the vegetable juices drain completely and dry. Then chop them and put them in a jar. Cut the peppers in half and pour over the vegetables.
- Add the chickpeas to the jar. Take a bowl. Put salt and fresh lime juice in a bowl and add a cup of water to it. Stir the ingredients to combine well. Add the mixture to the vegetables. Then fill the jar completely with water. Close the lid of the jar and put it in a cool place away from the sun.
- The combined ingredients must remain in this state for 20 days to prepare the Turkish turnip juice. During this time, open the lid of the jar every day and stir the ingredients. After 20 days, Turkish turnip juice is ready. Pass the contents of the jar through a strainer to remove the water. Pour the turnip juice into a bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
No comments yet, be the first to leave one!