- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- January 23, 2023
Originated from Khorasan and Mazandaran in Iran, Nargesi is a popular vegetable-based omelet enjoyed widely as an appetizer or main course. The base material of this dish consists of cooked greens and veggies, which form a pleasant harmony with the bright colors of eggs. Various types of Nargesi are prepared and enjoyed.
The most recognized type of Nargesi includes spinach in the recipe; however, feel free to try other vegetables such as green beans or spring onions instead. The egg component can be cooked along with the vegetables or separately. It all depends on how you’d prefer the final dish.
Notes about How to prepare Iranian Nargesi
- If you’d prefer to have runny yolks, allow the eggs to cook for about seven minutes.
- While chopping the spinach, use a sharp knife. Make sure the chopped pieces are not too small; spinach will shrink in size during the cooking process and would figuratively disappear in the egg and onion mixture if it’s chopped into tiny pieces.
- Avoid overcooking spinach leaves. Generally, overcooking vegetables and greens (be it frying, baking, steaming or other means) would destroy the nutritious components and reduce the nutrition value of the foodstuff.
- Some people tend to enjoy adding crushed walnuts to Nargesi. You can also try adding ground walnuts to the spinach mixture while stir frying.
- It’s recommended to save turmeric for the last steps of the preparing process. The nutritious components of turmeric are prone to disintegrate and produce harmful agents when exposed to high heat for prolonged amounts of time.
- There’s an alternative recipe for Nargesi; in which the spinach (or whatever vegetable you are planning to use) is fried along with the onions. Then you can add a tablespoon of verjuice or lemon juice to the spinach mixture.
- The eggs are prepared separately; it can be done as scrambled or sunny side up. You can place the eggs on top of the spinach mixture when serving. This recipe can be served with traditionally cooked rice, or bread.
One of the most important points in cooking is the use of fresh and organic ingredients. The first point is to use fresh ingredients.
The more you follow these tips, the better and tastier you will have. Rest assured, you definitely can and you will need some experience.
How to prepare Best Iranian Nargesi for 4 people - 1Touch Food Culinary Center
Originated from Khorasan and Mazandaran in Iran, Nargesi is a popular vegetable-based omelet enjoyed widely as an appetizer or main course.
Type: Main Dish
Recipe Yield: 4
Preparation Time: PT0H10M
Cooking Time: PT0H15M
Total Time: PT0H25M
- 2 medium Eggs
- 500 gram Spinach
- 1 medium Onion
- 3 table spoon oil
- 1 Tea Spoon Salt
- 1 Tea Spoon Turmeric
- 1/2 Tea Spoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tea Spoon Cinnamon
Recipe Instructions: Originated from Khorasan and Mazandaran in Iran, Nargesi is a popular vegetable-based omelet enjoyed widely as an appetizer or main course. The base material of this dish consists of cooked greens and veggies, which form a pleasant harmony with the bright colors of eggs. Various types of Nargesi are prepared and enjoyed. Enjoy your Meals!
- Wash the spinach carefully, and let the excess water drain. Chop the spinach leaves into 1 centimeter wide pieces.
- Fill a pot halfway through with tap water and set it on high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, place a metal strainer on the pot. Make sure it doesn't touch the hot water. Put the chopped spinach inside the strainer and place the lid on to cover the strainer. Allow the spinach to steam cook. After about 10 minutes, remove the spinach from the pot
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan on medium setting. Add the peeled and diced onions to the pot and stir well. Let the onions sauté until they turn golden.
- Add the spinach, salt, pepper, and turmeric powder to the pan. You can also add cinnamon to the mixture; it's all up to your own preference. Stir fry for about 15 minutes.
- Spread the spinach inside the pan evenly. Crack the eggs into the pan. Be careful not to break the yolk if you'd like the result to look sunny side up. Put the lid on the pan and let the eggs cook for about 10 minutes. You can serve Nargesi with bread or enjoy it on its own.