- Preparation time
- 120 mins
- Cooking time
- 45 mins
- 2 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- February 28, 2023
Besides being one of the famous dishes of Spain, bacalao is also famous in Portugal. The main ingredient of this dish is salted cod, which is cooked in different ways. Among the most famous ingredients of this dish, we can mention tomato sauce, garlic and olive oil; Ingredients found in many Spanish dishes.
As you know, in the past, to preserve many foods, they were salted, and before cooking salted fish, they were placed in water for a while. The relatively salty taste of bacalao is also a memory from that era.
One of the famous and delicious Spanish dishes is bacalao or cod fish stew. There is nothing more enjoyable than eating a meal of cod fish stew.
As I will tell you later, the ingredients needed to prepare this stew include cod fish, fresh tomatoes, salty green olives, and various spices.
Also, this dish is one of the most authentic dishes of Guatemala. On the other hand, it is a completely healthy dish and does not contain any artificial additives. Also, this stew has a special and nostalgic taste.
Also, this stew is very popular in Mexico, Guatemala and all over Latin America. My mother-in-law in Guatemala makes this delicious dish every Easter.
The important point in preparing this dish is to wash and soak the cod fish.
Try to choose the fillet part when you want to buy cod fish.
Cut the fish fillet and put it in a glass container, fill it with cold water and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Repeat this several times, because each time the saltiness of the fish decreases.
The best tips for preparing Spanish Bacalao
1. Start with fresh, unsalted cod fillets. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
2. Soak the cod in water for at least 24 hours, changing the water several times.
3. Rinse the cod again and pat dry.
4. Cut the cod into smaller pieces for even cooking.
5. Rub the cod with a combination of garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
6. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
7. Add the cod pieces to the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes, flipping once to ensure even cooking.
8. Reduce the heat to low and add onions, peppers, and tomatoes to the skillet.
9. Cook the vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes.
10. Add white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
11. Add the cod back to the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes.
12. Add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
13. Add olives, capers, and parsley.
14. Simmer for 10 minutes.
15. Add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste.
16. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
17. Serve with crusty bread, a green salad, and a glass of white wine.
18. Make sure to enjoy the remaining sauce with the meal.
19. If desired, garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
20. If you’d like to make Spanish Bacalao ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to prepare Best Delicious Spanish Bacalao for 2 people - 1Touch Food Culinary Center
Bacalao is also famous in Portugal. The main ingredient of Bacalao is salted cod, which is cooked in different ways. Among the most famous ing
Type: Main Dish
Recipe Yield: 2
Preparation Time: PT2H00M
Cooking Time: PT0H45M
Total Time: PT2H45M
- 11 cup Green olives
- 1/2 cup almond powder
- 1 table spoon Raisins
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 500 gram tomato puree
- 2 medium Onion
- 1 table spoon Olive oil
- 300 gram red potatoes
- 600 gram Dried and salted cod
Recipe Instructions: Besides being one of the famous dishes of Spain, bacalao is also famous in Portugal. The main ingredient of this dish is salted cod, which is cooked in different ways. Among the most famous ingredients of this dish, we can mention tomato sauce, garlic and olive oil; Ingredients found in many Spanish dishes. Enjoy your Meals!
- Put the pieces of fish in a ceramic glass container and fill it with cold water and put it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, change the water in the container every 3 to 4 hours to remove the saltiness of the fish. After soaking, take it out of the water and wash it well and put it in a pot with fresh water and let it boil.Reduce the heat and boil for 20 to 30 minutes until the fish is well cooked but does not fall apart.Gently remove the skin, remove the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces and chop.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces, boil water in a medium pot, add the potatoes, reduce the heat to boil and cook. After 15 to 20 minutes, rinse the potatoes and let them cool enough, then remove the skin and set aside.
- Take a large pot and fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until they become transparent and soft. Add tomato puree and parsley and let it boil. Reduce the heat until the sauce begins to thicken, this will take about 10 minutes.
- At this stage, mix the prepared fish and cooked potatoes with bell pepper, raisins and almonds and cook slowly on a low flame for about 15 to 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, your food is ready. Now you can decorate the food with olives.