- Preparation time
- 60 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- January 21, 2023
Baba ghanoush is an original dish of the Mediterranean countries (Arabic countries), in countries like Lebanon baba ghanoush is served as an appetizer and in Egypt it is served alongside the main dish. The most famous baba ghannoush recipe is from Lebanon.
Baba ghanoush is a kind of food made from eggplant, which is very similar to Iranian eggplant curd, with the difference that it is made from flour and olive oil, and in some regions, cocoa powder is used to give it a different taste.
Since the main ingredient in baba ghanoush is eggplant, the type of eggplant is very effective in its taste, so it is better to use medium eggplants that have less eggs and are less likely to be bitter to cook this dish.
To choose a good eggplant, be careful, pick an eggplant that is heavier than its size. Also, a good eggplant has a greener cap and a black and shiny skin. The fresher the eggplant is, the better it is, old eggplants become bitter. Another ingredient used in the preparation of baba ghanoush is tahini.
History of baba ghanoush
Regarding the naming of Baba Ghannoush, it has been mentioned that in the first century AD, in one of the cities of the Mediterranean area, a great person named Baba Ghannoosh lived, who was very popular among the people.
One day, one of Baba Ghanouj’s relatives prepares a new dish using grilled eggplant, aromatic vegetables and tahini.
Since Baba Ghanoj valued the people, he ordered to give food to the people as well. The people of the city welcomed that food and since they loved Baba Ghannouj very much, they named the new food Baba Ghannouj or Baba Ghannoosh.
Important points in preparing baba ghannoush
- You can increase or decrease the amount of pepper, tahini and olive oil mentioned in the recipe according to your taste.
- It is better that the amount of tahini is more than the amount mentioned in the recipe so that your baba ghanoush will be more delicious.
- You can use curd instead of tahini.
- Make sure that the tahini you prepare is fresh and not sweetened.
- In some areas, they use pomegranate paste instead of tahini. Pomegranate seeds are also added to the food for decoration.
- baba ghanoush gets a wonderful taste with tortilla bread chips.
- In order for your baba ghanoush to have a soft texture, you can add a little yogurt to the ingredients. If you use yogurt to prepare baba ghanoush, make sure that the yogurt is condensed and without water.
- If you do not have access to a food processor, you can use an electric meat grinder instead.
- baba ghanoush is basically a spicy food. If you like spicy food, you can add a little red pepper to the ingredients.
- You can keep this food in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Try to use fleshy eggplants.
- Be sure to grate the garlic before adding it to the ingredients.
- The amount of garlic used in baba ghanoush is a matter of taste and you can reduce its amount.
- If you want to keep baba ghanoush for a longer time, you can freeze it and remove it from the freezer every time before use. Because this food is served completely cold.
Properties of Baba Ghannoosh
- Eggplant is the main ingredient for preparing baba ghanoush, which has many properties. Among the properties of eggplant, the following can be mentioned:
- High levels of calcium, copper and vitamin K in eggplant help prevent osteoporosis and strengthen bones.
- Vitamin K and beta carotene present in eggplant improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Eggplant is a plant rich in fiber and will strengthen the digestive system.
- The fiber and soluble carbohydrates in eggplant make it an excellent food for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Eggplant is an excellent protease inhibitor and thus an excellent food for cancer prevention.
- Unconcentrated antioxidants in eggplant strengthen the immune system.
The high level of fiber in eggplant makes the food prepared from this useful plant occupy a large volume in the stomach and thus plays a big role in weight loss. Because it takes more time to digest fiber, as a result, a person will not feel hungry during this time.
- Another ingredient used in the preparation of baba ghanoush is tahini. Among the unique properties of tahini, the following can be mentioned:
- Lower blood pressure
- Cardiovascular health
- Strong anti-inflammatory properties and prevention of diseases such as cancer
- Decreased appetite and thus weight loss due to the presence of high amounts of protein and fiber
- Rich in minerals such as copper, iron, and B vitamins.
- Improve liver and kidney function
One of the most important points in cooking is the use of fresh and organic ingredients. The first point is to use fresh ingredients.
The more you follow these tips, the better and tastier you will have. Rest assured, you definitely can and you will need some experience.
How to prepare delicious Arabic baba ghanoush for 4 people - 1Touch Food Culinary Center
Baba ghanoush is an original dish of the Mediterranean countries (Arabic countries), in countries like Lebanon baba ghanoush is served as an
Keywords: baba ghanoush
Recipe Yield: 4
Preparation Time: PT1H00M
Cooking Time: PT0H00M
Total Time: PT1H00M
- 1 As Needed paprika
- 1/4 Tea Spoon Ground cumin
- 1 As Needed Black Pepper
- 1 As Needed Salt
- 1 As Needed fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 6 small Garlic
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1 large sour lemon
- 6 medium eggplants
- 100 gram Pomegranate paste
Recipe Instructions: Baba ghanoush is a kind of food made from eggplant, which is very similar to Iranian eggplant curd, with the difference that it is made from flour and olive oil, and in some regions, cocoa powder is used to give it a different taste. Enjoy your meals!
- Wash the eggplants well and grill them after drying them. You can grill eggplants in the oven or on the stove. If you want to grill eggplants in the oven, turn on the oven at 220 degrees Celsius a quarter of an hour before.
- Pierce the eggplants with a fork until they are completely cooked. Put an oil paper in the oven tray and arrange the eggplants on it. Place the tray on the middle shelf and let the eggplants roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Every 15 minutes, rotate the eggplants in the oven until all parts of the eggplants are grilled and cooked.
- When the eggplants are completely roasted, remove the tray from the oven and let it cool down a bit. Peel the eggplants and put them in a colander to drain the excess water from the eggplants. If the eggplants are well roasted, they peel off easily. If the eggplant flesh is stuck to it when peeling the skin, it means that the eggplant is not cooked well.
- After the eggplants are completely drained, put them in a food processor. Add olive oil, lemon juice or pomegranate paste to make it sour and add other ingredients such as salt and pepper, crushed garlic, cumin, cumin and paprika to the ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients well until they become creamy. Taste the food and add salt and lemon juice if needed. Your Baba Ghanoosh is ready. Pour it into a container and cover it with a cellophane and put it in the refrigerator until serving time. 15 minutes before serving, remove the dish from the refrigerator and garnish with parsley.